Wednesday, August 18, 2010
Settling in...sort of
We have been having lots of fun and experiencing lots of adventures! We are doing well and getting used to the Saudi way of doing things. I did have a funny thing happen to me the other night. I ran in KFC to pick up some chicken for dinner (Tim dropped me at the door). When I got to the counter the man asked me to go to the "Family side" and I quickly realized that I had gone in the "Singles" door. He was very nice about it but was sure to inform me when I was leaving that the family section door was open and that I should leave out of it instead of the one I came in. I got to the car and Tim was laughing at me - not very nice!!
The girls have been playing nearly every day with these 2 girls from South Africa. They are just about the girls ages and we are very sad that they will be leaving to go back to South Africa at the end of this month. Their family has been a lot of help to us, shown us around the compound, and helped us to all feel more at ease with things here. This is the kids with Danitsa and Lutcia in our kitchen playing cards.
The same guy that owns our compound and several others also owns a private beach. We have free access to use it. We went for the first time last Friday and it was so nice. The girls got to play and swim and we got to visit with other families and relax a little. I think it was a really good thing for the kids because they felt more "normal" while there, being surrounded by other foreigners and women not covered in black. That's the indoor swimming pool that overlooks the beach in the background. -- pretty nice!!
This is the indoor swimming pool at the beach. That is the baby pool on the other side of the little bridge.
Because it is Ramadan (Holy Month), the hours of local stores is really crazy. The Muslims are fasting from sunrise to sunset (no eating or drinking) and then staying up all night eating to make up for the starvation during the day (I guess). They get really worn out, as you can imagine, so don't work very long hours. Because they are up all night, the stores open late at night. This gets really tricky when you throw in the fact that women can't drive. So, after dinner is when we've been going out to run errands and haven't gotten home until 11 or 11:30 several nights from just doing normal grocery shopping or getting things for the house.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment